Avere And Quantum Team To Optimize Storage For Upstream Workflows In Utilities Exploration29 Oct, 2014
Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, and Quantum Corp., a leader in scale-out storage systems, engaged in a joint storage solution designed to optimize workflows for the oil and gas industry. The combined approach provides an integrated networked attached storage (NAS) solution with cloud storage that extends data availability at a lower cost, enabling upstream workflows to keep strategic information close at hand, shortening project cycle time and improving exploration analysis. Avere Cloud NAS powered by FlashCloud™ combined with Quantum Lattus™ extended online storage delivers cost-effective cloud storage with the high-performance access required for oil and gas exploration.
With more data than ever before being generated for oil exploration, traditional solutions relying on replication and RAID do not provide cost-effective global access to content, can place a heavy burden on network storage, and drive storage capacity demands beyond budget. Together, Avere FlashCloud on FXT Edge Series filers and Quantum Lattus extended online storage provide a comprehensive solution that delivers several key advantages:
· Extreme Scalability: Avere FXT filers deliver scalable NAS performance in a clustered configuration while FlashCloud provides access to Quantum Lattus, offering cost-effective performance and capacity that is simple to manage, capable of expanding to hundreds of petabytes without disruption.
· Flexible Onramp to the Cloud: Avere’s global namespace joins Lattus and legacy NAS into a single pool of storage so oil and gas users can store their data wherever it makes most sense and adopt Lattus storage at a managed pace. Avere’s FlashMove® transparently moves live, online data to Lattus without disruption while FlashMirror® replicates data to Lattus for disaster recovery.
· Durable, Self-Healing Protection: Lattus delivers built-in data resiliency with self-healing protection, guarding data against component failure and even site disaster.
· Lower Cost of Ownership: The combination of FXT Edge filers with Lattus’ cost-effective object storage leverages efficient data spread algorithms that require less storage than RAID to protect data, enabling 70% or more savings in total cost of ownership compared to traditional NAS implementations.
· High-Speed Access: Avere Cloud NAS - powered by FlashCloud running on FXT Edge filers - eliminates the latency of access to content pools that reside in cloud storage.
Simon Robinson, Senior Analyst, The 451 Group
“Avere’s added support for object-level storage such as Lattus make it an ideal solution for addressing ever increasing storage demands in an upstream workflow environment, and Quantum’s focus on infinitely scalable object storage delivers the perfect complement to Avere’s FXT Edge filers. The combined solution shows great potential for bringing a more economical approach to meeting the storage access and performance needs of the oil and gas industry.”
Mike McMahon, Vice President, Business Development, Avere Systems
“This joint offering provides a blended cost model that brings high-performance NAS to a very large pool of economical storage. Compared to conventional approaches that rely strictly on primary storage, we’re offering a solution that combines a high-performance tier with a cost-effective petascale storage tier. Avere FXT Edge filers provide fast access to content where the user needs it, when they need it.”
Geoff Stedman, Senior Vice President, StorNext Solutions, Quantum
“The combination with Avere extends online storage by delivering fast access to seismic data via a cost-effective private cloud solution with the extreme scalability and performance needed in the oil and gas market. With Quantum’s long history of delivering solutions for oil and gas, we know how critical it is for companies to store their valuable seismic content without limits and avoid contending with technology refreshes, data migration cycles and the very high costs associated with relying on traditional RAID storage.”
Founded in January 2008, Avere Systems is radically changing the economics of data storage. Avere’s solutions give companies – for the first time – the ability to put an end to the rising cost and complexity of data storage by allowing customers the freedom to store files anywhere in the cloud or on premises without sacrificing the performance, availability or security of their data. Based in Pittsburgh, Avere is led by veterans and thought leaders in the data storage industry and is backed by investors Lightspeed Venture Partners, Menlo Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Tenaya Capital, and Western Digital Capital.
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they have the end-to-end storage foundation to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.