Xerox Protects Customers; Pursues Legal Actions in Response to Supplies Thefts14 May, 2015
NORWALK, Conn., May 14, 2015 – Recent investigations conducted by Xerox uncovered stolen supplies and equipment on the black market, resulting in serious legal ramifications for several individuals and continued protection of its customers and their equipment.
Through supply chain security controls, audits of ordering and consumption, web and marketplace monitoring and fraud mitigation programs, Xerox closely monitors the ordering and distribution of supplies to help combat against stolen supplies that leak into the black market. Recent efforts include:
· The termination of a three-year supply theft ring that led to the recovery of more than one million dollars in stolen consumables. A Missouri woman is being prosecuted at the federal level for stealing supplies from her office and shipping them to vendors in two other states.
· The detection of metered supplies found for sale in the open market in New Jersey. An employee of a rigging company hired by Xerox allegedly sold more than $60,000 in stolen property and has been indicted on felony theft charges.
· The conviction of a Kentucky man who sold contracted supplies on a personal eBay account. He was sentenced to five years and ordered to pay restitution.
Precautions to protect against stolen products
Xerox has assembled a worldwide team spanning brand protection, corporate security and legal departments to combat theft activities; the company also cooperates with other equipment manufacturers, along with local law enforcement, customs and excise agencies.
Proper policies and procedures that can help businesses secure and protect Xerox supplies include:
· Secure supplies by locking them in a cabinet or storage area.
· Avoid over-ordering and storing excessive stock on site.
· Return unused supplies at the end of the contract or when upgrading equipment.
· Ensure employees are aware of their responsibilities and risk of termination if found convicted of stealing.
Xerox is a global business services, technology and document management company helping organizations transform the way they manage their business processes and information. Headquartered in Norwalk, Conn., we have more than 140,000 Xerox employees and do business in more than 180 countries. Together, we provide business process services, printing equipment, hardware and software technology for managing information – from data to documents. Learn more at www.xerox.com.