Emerging Technologies in Smart Clouds28 Oct, 2011 By: Dr. Satwant Kaur, HP imageSource
The seductiveness of the Smart Cloud: In the emerging computing model, computers are mobile, devices are connected, applications are interactive, development is collaborative, and service delivery needs to be immediate. Sound attractive? Yes!
The availability of the technology enabled business services in the cloud provides the opportunities for the businesses to increases speed, security, flexibility, scalability and cost effectiveness as they deliver services in this merging computing model.
Many more businesses are now empowered to acquire world-class enterprise software, application platforms, and computing resources such as servers and storage over the cloud, which were previously out of their reach due to cost and complexity.
Smart Cloud can be any IT enabled capability, whether software (SasS), infrastructure (IaaS), or platforms (PaaS) that is delivered via the Internet as a service.
Smart Clouds provide services at every level. Although it is the applications that drive their business, the enterprises may need to cloud enable any component of their application building process: Software as a Service (SaaS)- where the applications themselves or software to build application are software that is needed as a service, Platform as a Service (PaaS) which encompasses the platforms upon which applications are built and run; and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solutions, which includes the infrastructure needed to run applications and to store their custom data.
- Smart Cloud allow them to dynamically right-size and increase agility
- Smart Cloud allow businesses ways to connect to customers and other businesses
- Smart Cloud breaks down boundaries to IT systems and processes and simplifies access to information needed to achieve business results
- Smart clouds break down boundaries in a safe and reliable manner and supports community-driven innovation, within and outside the boundaries of a business.
- Smart Clouds standardized cloud infrastructure ensures interoperability, resiliency, security, development of new services with the consistent user experiences
- Smart Clouds are designed to easily migrate, design, build and deploy around enterprise business models. That is the seductiveness of computing with Smart Clouds!
- Imperative Traits of Secure Smart Clouds: products & technologies
What Makes a Cloud Smart?
Smart Clouds add smartness to their seductiveness by making them secure. Smart Clouds are secure if they encapsulate various traits as listed below:
- Secure Smart Clouds provide security in form of threat protection, privacy, compliance and data and intellectual property protection
- Secure Smart Clouds can comprise of horizontally scalable cloud in a box solutions that contain modular infrastructure, platform and services to support heterogeneous environments
- Secure Smart Clouds are automated and their policy-based automation and management that make them secure
- Secure Smart Clouds provide migration of legacy assets and services to cloud to provide integrated services
- Secure Smart Clouds are resilient and provide assurance of security, availability, quality, and performance service levels
- Secure Smart Clouds combine public and private cloud services with traditionally deployed services and outsourced services to provide consistent policy based security
- Secure Smart Clouds allow secure business collaboration
These traits are discussed in greater details below, along with specific examples of products and technologies that encapsulate those traits.
#1 Automated Management:
Smart Clouds have Automated Management of Cloud Services
- IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager for automating the requesting, deployment, monitoring and management of cloud computing services.
- IBM Tivoli Live for monitoring and managing performance of IT infrastructure and also managing IT incidents and problems
- HP Cloud Service Automation for one-touch infrastructure and application ordering, provisioning, and management from a single self-service portal
- HP Cloud Management and Security solutions to ensure cloud and traditional IT services deliver the quality, performance, availability, security, and value
- HP IT Financial Management and Service Portfolio Management to establish the cost of services and account for IT spend and plan of IT portfolio to align price and performance with enterprise objectives
- HP Application Lifecycle Management and Application Security to deliver higher quality, more scalable, more secure cloud-ready applications; and to identify, contain and prevent security vulnerabilities in both source code and live applications
- HP Business Service Management to monitor and assure the performance and availability of private cloud, public cloud and traditional IT services
- HP Enterprise Security Management to intelligently identify and mitigate cyber threat and risk through complete visibility and insight into IT infrastructure and application events
#2 Assure Security:
Smart Cloud applications, platforms, and computing resources should be secure:
- business and customer data are safe from unauthorized access
- business processes are safe from intrusion
- applications can’t be interfered with
- hacker attacks that disrupt business processes are prevented
- HP Cloud Assure offers an end-to-end solution for performing security risk assessments to detect and correct security vulnerabilities. It provides common security policy definitions, automated security tests, centralized permissions control, and web access to security information.
- HP Cloud Assure can scan networks, operating systems, middleware layers, and web applications and perform automated penetration testing to identify potential vulnerabilities—giving you an accurate security-risk picture of cloud services.
#3 Assure Performance:
Smart Clouds should deliver the performance the real time nature of the business demands.
- monitoring of remotely deployed resources to ensure infrastructure service levels are being complied with
- sufficient capacity and scalability to serve all end users of today and tomorrow
- quality of the end-user experience promotes customer satisfaction and loyalty
- HP Cloud Assure for application performance testing service to make sure cloud providers meet end-user bandwidth and connectivity requirements and that the cloud applications scale to support peak usage
- HP Cloud Assure also lets IT and business managers know what end users are experiencing
#4 Assure Availability:
Smart Clouds should deliver the availability the business-critical nature of services demands.
- visibility into service uptime of each smart cloud service
- isolate problems based on application availability
- perform trend analysis for business analytics and to predict and prevent failures
- HP Cloud Assure to seamlessly monitor cloud-based applications, isolate problems, and identify root causes, starting with the end user and then drilling down in context into application components, packaged applications, and back-end tiers
- test and monitor web based application business processes, identify and analyze performance issues, and analyze trends for continuing improvement.
- availability dashboard so that you can view availability and performance and report to business users
- Comprehensive reporting: A security report of vulnerabilities found; Performance reports on application key performance indicator
- Incident detection and alerting on performance and availability issues facing end users and customers, with the ability to seamlessly integrate with other HP BTO solutions or third-party products.
#5 Security governance, risk management and compliance
Smart Clouds should enable the businesses to have sufficient governance and control:
- ensure that providers meet service levels
- ensure compliance with policies, regulations, and audits
- Clouds proactively find and fix security threats
- Securing the Applications: IBM Rational AppScan proactively manages security with Web application security without the need for infrastructure investments.
- HP Enterprise Cloud Services–Vulnerability Scanning proactively finds and fixes security threats.
- Validates the effectiveness of current security safeguards for network devices & resources
- Quantifies the risk to internal systems and confidential information
- Proactively addresses security issues before they are exploited
- Helps protect the integrity of online assets
- Supports compliance with industry and government regulations, especially those elements requiring regular scans