Helping to Plan a Document Strategy12 Mar, 2004 By: Editorial Staff imageSource
Helping to Plan a Document Strategy
As a dealer, understanding an organization's document output spend is vital in order to clearly introduce the opportunities for cost savings and increased productivity and workflow. The proliferation of output devices such as printers, copiers, fax machines, and scanners has significantly contributed to the dramatic increase in document output volume.
There are places where your expertise as a dealer can help. Independent research has confirmed that most companies have:
• Little understanding of the document-related hardware within their organization
• No accurate data regarding total print, copy, fax and outsourced documents
• Little knowledge of user practices and associated costs
• No real understanding of the most appropriate technology to address their needs
• Difficulty managing paper and electronic documents effectively
• No formal document strategy
PLANNING AN ASSESSMENT
You can help an organization to understand their current situation related to document spending. In many cases, companies do not understand all of the options available to them prior to initiating an actual professional assessment. A clear understanding of the critical business objectives that a proposal needs to address requires many questions to be answered first.
Ask You Client:
• How much are they spending on desktop, workgroup, production, and commercial printing services?
• How does their total document expense compare to that of their key competitors?
• What factors contribute to these costs?
• What is the most thorough way to assess these costs?
• How much money could they save and how?
• How much of an investment in time and money is needed to properly assess their document costs?
• Does this require a detailed on-site audit?