Canon and EFI Announce New Printing Technologies30 Nov, 2004
Canon and EFI Announce New Printing Technologies
Canon U.S.A. and EFI announced the shared introduction of industry-leading digital imaging and networked printing technologies to meet the growing needs of customers in graphics, business and production color environments.
"By once again partnering with EFI and sharing our mutual expertise, we have added four new complimentary components to our growing portfolio of customer solutions," said Dennis Amorosano, director and general manager, Imaging Systems Group, Canon U.S.A. "The collaborative effort between Canon U.S.A. and EFI benefits customers by expanding choice, while simultaneously raising the level of each company's exposure in the commercial print, graphics and office color markets."
"Canon and EFI share a commitment to provide best-in-class solutions that deliver professional workflow as well as color management, improved productivity and enhanced quality," said Frank Mallozzi, VP of Worldwide Sales, EFI. "DocStream 5 for Color imageRUNNER C3220 gives Canon customers expanded options in EFI connectivity for the recently introduced Canon Color imageRUNNER C3220. With EFI Digital StoreFront, and the powerful production level workflow tools of the MicroPress iX, we are offering complete, integrated web submission, digital prepress, and print procurement solutions, bringing tremendous opportunities for Canon customers to improve customer service while streamlining operations and growing profits."
"As production printing and the use of color become increasingly sophisticated and more widely deployed, customers expect optimal - yet affordable - workflow and communication solutions from Canon," added Amorosano. "Delivering speed, quality, value and an expanded color management feature set, these new products offer added production, variable data printing (VDP) and color print server options to meet our customers' varying digital printing needs."
EFI MicroPress® iX for Canon
The MicroPress iX for Canon server delivers powerful digital prepress and workflow management capabilities to single engine configurations. With the MicroPress iX, customers can now leverage MicroPress workflow using a single Canon imageRUNNER Pro 125VP/150VP/110 or imageRUNNER 105/8500/7200/85 printer - at an entry-level investment. Canon is currently the only manufacturer offering this solution from EFI.
The MicroPress iX offers sophisticated job preparation tools to increase user productivity and streamline workflow. Post-RIP digital prepress capabilities include extensive job and page-level editing functions, as well as labor saving tools to help automate manual processes and simplify complex production workflow tasks, such as tab insertion, job merging and page numbering/renumbering. Pinpoint document control also facilitates bates numbering, subset stapling, and multi-line, multi-tab creation from a single interface. Additionally, the MicroPress iX server integrates with EFI Digital StoreFront™ to establish a complete, automated web-to-print solution from submission to output that helps optimize workflow and productivity of Canon printers and minimize operator errors. Key workflow applications include:
• Post-RIP editing suite of make-ready tools to prepare already RIPped documents for printing without re-processing files
• Increased tab handling by selecting all tab locations at once from thumbnail view, reducing errors and improving productivity when creating booklets or manuals
• Greater imposition options to meet specific booklet-printing needs with additional controls for custom template creation
• Advanced job management with workflow automation tools to preview, archive and schedule jobs; calculate toner coverage; and export job information to third party billing tools
• Scanning & image capture of hard copy documents with the optional MicroImager™ digital imaging solution
The MicroPress iX server perfectly rounds out Canon's range of performance offerings, and fits neatly between the imagePASS M2 and other MicroPress X-Series portfolio. It is available in the Americas through Canon's distribution channels, subsidiaries and dealers. Suggested MSRP:
• MicroPress iX for imageRUNNER 7200/85/105/85 $9,500.00
• MicroPress iX for imageRUNNER 110/Pro 150+ $11,500.00
EFI Digital StoreFront 2.0 for Canon - Web-based Print Services Suite
Digital StoreFront 2.0 is a next-generation print job submission and procurement solution offered by EFI and Canon. Digital StoreFront 2.0 employs an entirely new platform and architecture designed to facilitate installation and integration into a customer's commercial print environment, and provides a robust suite of print services to print centers and their customers via the web using a scalable architecture that allows print center to expand and offer enhanced services as they grow.
EFI Digital StoreFront seamlessly integrates the flow of data from initial submission to printed output for optimum efficiency and profitability. It gives print centers the ability to project their own image and brand and serve customers via a robust, interactive Intranet and/or Internet presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A simple interface allows digital file submission from any PC or Macintosh computer. Through a PDF driver and web browser, customers can easily enter job specifications for production and finishing, and view PDF proofs of their documents online for approval. Job tickets and files are automatically submitted into the print center's workflow, billing systems, print servers and output devices. Key features include:
• Integrated PC and Macintosh-based PDF-generating print drivers that can be deployed to an unlimited number of Intranet and/or Internet clients.
•Template-Driven VDP module for quickly and easily typesetting, proofing and approving custom business cards, stationary and letterhead before submitting to the print center workflow.
• Integration to EFI Fiery® servers, EFI Balance™ and EFI MicroPress® workflow solutions for automatic routing of print orders from the web to the appropriate output device.
• Greater security control with enterprise authority for authentication and privilege mapping via Microsoft Active Directory and/or corporate LDAP (Local Directory Access Protocol) server support.
• Available in the Americas through Canon's distribution channels, subsidiaries and dealers. Suggested MSRP:
Digital StoreFront v2.0 Express Base Software Kit $8,995.00
Digital StoreFront v2.0 Base Software Kit $15,995.00
Digital StoreFront v2.0 Express Base Integrated Solution* $11,995.00
Digital StoreFront v2.0 Base Integrated Solution* $18,995.00
EFI MicroPress Connectivity Kits - Canon CLC 5100 and CLC 4000
Canon has added the CLC5100 and CLC4000 models to the list of engines supported by the EFI MicroPress X-Series for Canon. The new MicroPress maximizes productivity for high volume Print-on-Demand (POD) operations and features advanced color management and make-ready tools, maximum throughput capabilities, and unmatched quality in a scalable solution. Available in the Americas through Canon's distribution channels, subsidiaries and dealers. Suggested MSRP:
• MicroPress Connectivity Kit for CLC 5100 $24,000.00
• MicroPress Connectivity Kit for CLC 4000 $17,500.00
For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.